Land Contamination Risk Management
We have a dedicated team of experienced geoenvironmental specialists with a breadth of skills and knowledge of all facets of land contamination risk management including land contamination (planning) and contaminated land (Part 2A). This team works alongside our multi-disciplinary environmental, geotechnical and engineering teams, to offer pragmatic and cost-effective design and advisory services to public and private sectors. We work closely with clients, designers, statutory authorities and other stakeholders to tackle these challenges and ensure successful project, planning and regulatory outcomes.
We have extensive experience delivering for a wide range of projects including: urban regeneration, residential/commercial developments, municipal and chemical waste landfills (redevelopment and remediation), historic metalliferous mining sites, historic coal mining sites, industrial sites, docks and strategic infrastructures projects.
Our services include:
- Due diligence, feasibility assessments and optioneering
- Land contamination for planning application and reserved matters
- Part 2A contaminated land assessments and remediation
- Preliminary risk assessments (including desk studies)
- Site investigation schemes (design, manage, oversee)
- Generic and detailed quantitative risk assessments (GQRA and DQRA)
- Remediation options appraisals
- Remediation strategies
- Remediation (contract preparation, project management, site supervision, contract management)
- Remediation verification
- Remediation validation
- Historic landfill – site management plans (including maintenance and management)
- Automated landfill leachate, groundwater and surface water level monitoring systems – design, installation and management, data management, assessment and interpretation
- Hydrogeological assessments
- Remediation – NEC contract preparation, project management, site supervision
- Corporate strategies
- Asbestos in soils risk assessments and remediation
Land Contamination and Risk Management Process
Our geoenvironmental services align with the Environment Agency’s Land Contamination Risk Management (LCRM) process and associated guidance which sets out the process for managing risks from land contamination. We follow this guidance to ensure that our clients’ sites and developments will be ‘suitable for their proposed use’ in line with National Planning Policy (NPPF). The process of LCRM should be used to:
- Identify and assess if there is an unacceptable risk
- Assess what remediation options are suitable to manage the risk
- Plan and carry out remediation
- Verify that remediation has worked
Our services deliver against the three LCRM risk-based stages ‘risk assessment’; ‘options appraisal’; and ‘remediation and verification’. The diagram presents Pell Frischmann’s simplified summary of the LCRM process. The scope and extent of effort required at each LCRM stage is informed by the previous stage.
Materials and waste
The geoenvironmental team also provide a suite of materials and waste management services that complement the land contamination services described above. We believe that the best project outcomes are derived from collaboration and combining our diverse technical skill-sets to ensure that the solutions we offer are cost effective, deliverable and pragmatic.
We also provide a range of bespoke training that can be tailored to suit your business or project from introductory awareness course to presentations or workshops that target a specific site/project concern in more detail.
Our suite of services is designed to support you throughout your project journey.
We’d love to hear from you!
If you would like to know more about our Land Contamination and Geoenvironmental capabilities, please contact us through our contact form here.