- Location: London, UK
- Client: Cleshar; London Overground Capacity Improvement Programme (LOCIP); Transport for London (TfL)
- Partners: Butler & Young; Integra Ltd.
- Year: 2016
- Sector: Rail |
- Specialisms: Civil Engineering | Fire Engineering | Rail Engineering |
Pell Frischmann provides rail consultancy alongside a fully integrated multi-disciplinary design and assurance service. With our in-house design teams, sister company resource and expert design partners, we provide a fully RISQS audited service of rail capabilities.
Pell Frischmann supported Cleshar through a Design & Build tender process and were both awarded a contract to deliver a new train stabling facility Silwood Sidings as a remote extension to New Cross Gate depot in South-West London. Over a three-year period, Pell Frischmann took the concept design and developed this through to handover, delivering the necessary main line track and power modifications into a Christmas possession and then construction stage designs of ten new sidings, accommodation building and other related infrastructure.
What we did
- Accommodation buildings;
- Acoustic barriers;
- DC traction power;
- Integration with client signalling design;
- Lighting and CCTV;
- Low-voltage power supplies;
- PA and communication systems;
- Permanent way;
- Security fencing & systems;
- Traction power.
In total, Pell Frischmann managed and delivered the design of ten new siding roads, including a turnout from the mainline and a crossover between the existing mainline tracks. In total, 3.5km of new track was laid including 15 new switches, 350 lighting bollards, 320 lamp posts, 105 bulkhead lights and many miles of associated cabling and cable route management systems.
Pell Frischmann is conscious of the need to deliver safe and sustainable schemes to meet and exceed requirements. On this project, this was delivered through:
- Redesigning the lighting proposed at concept stage to include low energy lamp and LED units which were compatible in all lighting conditions and to suit all tasks to ensure the safety of cleaners and train drivers whilst saving energy in use;
- Delivering Sustainable Urban Drainage Solution (SUDS) for wastewater from cleaning activity removing the need for an independent foul drainage system and avoiding deep drainage excavations.
LOCIP, of which Silwood Sidings was a core part, was named the winner of the Greatest Contribution to London Award at the ICE London Civil Engineering Awards ceremony. Former Mayor of London, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said at the event:
“The London Overground Capacity Improvement Programme has transformed the East London line, benefiting commuters and visitors in yet another part of the capital.”
We’d love to hear from you!
To find out more about Silwood Sidings, please contact us through our form here.