Hammersmith Station & Depot
- Location: Central London, UK
- Client: Transport for London (TfL)
- Partners: Butler & Young
- Year: 2013
- Sector: Rail |
- Specialisms: Civil Engineering | Structural Engineering | Rail Engineering | Fire Engineering |
Pell Frischmann provides rail consultancy alongside a fully integrated multi-disciplinary design and assurance service. With our in-house design teams, sister company resource and expert design partners we provide a fully RISQS audited service of rail capabilities. Hammersmith Station is a major transport hub for those travelling within and through to Central London, with two London Underground stations and a bus station at Hammersmith Broadway. The demands of the travelling up public for greater capacity and quality of service has resulted in the introduction of new and improved rolling stock, S7 trains.
What we did
We were commissioned to conduct two programmes of design for TfL under the London Overground Capacity Improvement Project (LOCIP). This included:
- Extending and upgrading Hammersmith Depot’s sheds to enable services and stabling of new, longer S7 rolling stock;
- Extending the headshunt siding required to accommodate new S7 rolling. This required redesigning existing station entrances, the provision of a new entrance, reworking existing retail units and the provision of train driver platform infrastructure.
Both programmes were meticulously planned to mitigate disruption to the public, maintaining constant operational service.
Our scope of services and technical skills included project management, site surveys & investigations, structural engineering, permanent way alignment, drainage design, mechanical engineering, architectural design, electrical engineering, fire engineering and communications engineering.
The outcome of our works improved the transport network through its function and operation, ensuring the depot could accommodate the new rolling-stock, and reinforce TfL’s objective of delivering places which are attractive and convenient, but safe for the end user – the public.
The resulting scheme was awarded the Heritage Award in 2015 by the Hammersmith Society reflecting the care and attention to detail we had taken in developing a sensitive design.
We’d love to hear from you!
To find out more about Hammersmith Station & Depot, please contact us through our form here.