Technical Director – Fire Engineering
About Pell Frischmann
Pell Frischmann is an international multi-disciplinary consulting engineering company with over 90 years of experience in the built environment. We are a unique business whose purpose is to generate sustainable funds to address the environmental and social commitments resulting from the closure of Germany’s hard-coal mining industry; our work directly contributes to environmental protection and preservation for future generations.
Our expertise and capabilities cover Buildings, Aviation, Rail, Highways and Transportation, Land Development, and Water and Wastewater.
We are looking to grow our Fire Engineering team, with individuals who share our values, to support our expanding workload This is an exciting opportunity to lead and develop our Fire Engineering team as part of a dynamic evolving consultancy.
We have an established track record delivering technically demanding projects in the building development and infrastructure sectors including the award winning Zayed Children’s Centre, the repurposing of Centrepoint in Central London and the remodeling of Bank Underground Station.
You will be working within our Buildings team and will be leading our fire engineering team located in our Bishop’s Stortford offices. You will be expected to collaborate with in-house design teams as well as developing your own clients in London and other areas across the UK.
You will be working with our Business Development team and engineering teams to identify opportunities to expand your workload and team.
We operate a flexible work policy. However, you will be expected to provide on site support to both the team in Bishop Stortford and the London office on a regular basis.
Main Duties and Responsibilities;
- Providing technical and managerial leadership to the Fire Engineering Team to deliver an exceptional consultancy service
- Business development; identifying work opportunities with internal teams, external clients and design team; preparing fee and bid proposals
- Responsible for designing sustainable fire safety solutions in compliance with UK building and fire legislation. Design tasks include, but not limited to, development of Fire Safety Strategies; Means of Escape analysis; Fire Risk Assessment; Hazard Identification; Third Party Verification
- Collaboration with internal and external design teams
- Financial management of project delivery
- Quality management responsibilities in accordance with our Business management System
- Leading the professional and technical development of the Fire Team
Working with the management team to develop sector business and technical strategies.
|Useful Additional Skills||· As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP) understanding;|
· People Movement Modelling Analysis (PeMMA): evacuation and crowd simulations using computational models, such as EXODUS;
· Interpretation and Application of key UK fire safety legislation and standards, London Underground fire safety standards, Network Rail standards, e.g., LUL – S1371, Railway Safety Principles and Guidance (RSPG)
· Interpretation and Application of international fire safety legislation and standards and NFPA standards (e.g., NFPA 101, NFPA 130)
· Understanding of fire dynamics, heat transfer and smoke behaviour principles in enclosed environments (particularly underground and tunnels)
· Understanding of Active Fire Protection AFP (e.g. sprinkler systems, fire detection and alarm systems; mechanical smoke control systems etc.) and Passive Fire Protection (PFP) measures (e.g. structural fire resistance, fire compartmentation, fire doors etc.)
· Knowledge of fire modelling simulation (using zone models such as CFAST and CFD Computational Fluid Dynamics-based models such as SMARTFIRE)
Why Pell Frischmann?
Not only are we one of the UK’s leading engineering consultancies, we also understand a career isn’t just a job. At Pell Frischmann you will not be pigeon-holed but encouraged to thrive and develop. If that and a competitive salary isn’t enough, we also offer other excellent benefits, including:
- 5-Days Annual Leave and Buy, Sell & Carry-Over Policies.
- Life Assurance at 4x Base salary.
- Season Ticket Loans.
- Salary Sacrifice Benefits.
- Full Learning and Development programme
- Open to discuss flexible working
|Qualification|| • Relevant Degree |
• Associate member of the IFE Institute of Fire Engineers (MIFireE, FIFireE)
| • Fire Engineering Degree|
• Chartered member of the IFE Institute of Fire Engineers (MIFireE, FIFireE)
|Experience|| • 10 years post qualification in comparable industry sectors|
• Able to demonstrate at least 2 years providing technical and managerial support to a team
|Skills|| • A creative, practical mindset - a problem solver|
• Abie to work with others in a team
• Able to represent the practice to external clients, technical peer groups
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Familiar with the use of Industry leading fire design software packages, analytical and visualisation techniques and BIM
• Their work regularly requires the regular use of leading-edge software, ,.
• Familiar with the integration of sustainable development aspirations within the Fire Safety discipline.