Senior / Principal Fire Engineer – Bishops Stortford or London
Job Title: Senior/Principal Fire Engineer
Reports to: Business Unit Director
Direct Reports: 1
We are currently looking to expand our Fire Engineering team, due to our growing portfolio of exciting projects and to assist in the development of our team. This is an exciting opportunity to develop our Fire Engineering team as part of a dynamic evolving consultancy.
Pell Frischmann is an international multi-disciplinary consulting engineering company with over 90 years of experience in the built environment. We are a unique business whose purpose is to generate sustainable funds to address the environmental and social commitments resulting from the closure of Germany’s hard-coal mining industry; our work directly contributes to environmental protection and preservation for future generations.
Our expertise and capabilities cover Buildings, Rail, Highways and Transportation, Land Development, and Water and Wastewater. We have an established track record delivering technically demanding projects in the building development and infrastructure sectors including the award winning Zayed Children’s Centre, the repurposing of Centrepoint in Central London and the remodelling of Bank Underground Station.
You will be responsible for managing your own projects and mentoring junior engineers, being supported by the wider team as necessary and working within our Buildings team. The team are located across our Bishop’s Stortford and London offices and we are happy to accept applications from people who are within commutable range to either office. You will be expected to collaborate with in-house design teams, sister companies, as well as contributing to the overall Fire Team management.
The role will also involve working with the Fire Team Director and the Business Development team to identify opportunities to expand your workload and team.
We are committed to equal opportunities for everyone and operate a flexible work policy which we are happy to discuss further. In addition, you will be put onto a bespoke training and development platform tailored to your individual progression. Our Fire Engineering team takes a particularly active role in the development of our people and routinely provide opportunities to attend appropriate training and development courses. Also because of the developing nature of fire engineering, employees are encouraged to attend the appropriate annual conferences and CPD events.
Main Duties and Responsibilities;
- We are looking for someone who is technically excellent and capable of delivering quality fire safety solutions on time and on budget. A proven track record of gaining agreement for prescriptive and performance-based design solutions from approving authorities is also essential.
- delivering sustainable fire safety solutions in compliance with UK building and fire legislation. Design tasks include, but not limited to, development of Fire Safety Strategies; Means of Escape analysis; Fire Risk Assessment; Hazard Identification; Third Party Verification
- Be aware of appropriate legislation and design guidance for use in the UK.
- As a senior member of the Fire team, you will have strong meeting and negotiating skills and experience of leading project teams. You will be a team player capable of imparting knowledge and experience to other members of the team in order to grow and develop them under your support.
- Have the ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, working to tight deadlines and juggling multiple demands and deliverables, understanding and managing the scope and relevant programme constraints of projects
- Responsible for fee proposals, financial performance on projects, contributions to business development activities and establishing a network of clients / colleagues inside and outside Pell Frischmann
- Possess excellent report writing and communication skills, be collaborative, be creative and engaging.
- Quality management responsibilities in accordance with our Business Management System
Why Pell Frischmann?
Not only are we one of the UK’s leading engineering consultancies, we also understand a career isn’t just a job. At Pell Frischmann you will not be pigeon-holed but encouraged to thrive and develop through our learning and development programme.
If that and a competitive salary isn’t enough, we also offer other excellent benefits, including:
- 25-Days Annual Leave and Buy, Sell & Carry-Over Policies.
- Life Assurance at 4x Base salary.
- Season Ticket Loans.
- Salary Sacrifice Benefits.
- Full Learning and Development programme.
- Open to discussions around flexible working
|Qualification|| • Relevant Degree or Equivalent qualification|
• Associate member of the IFE Institute of Fire Engineers
|• Fire Engineering Degree|
|Experience|| • 5+ years post qualification in comparable industry sectors|
• Able to demonstrate at least 2 years providing technical and managerial support to a team (Principal role only)
| • As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP) understanding; |
• People Movement Modelling Analysis (PeMMA): evacuation and crowd simulations using computational models, such as EXODUS;
• Interpretation and Application of key UK fire safety legislation and standards, London Underground fire safety standards, Network Rail standards, e.g., LUL – S1371, Railway Safety Principles and Guidance (RSPG)
• Interpretation and Application of international fire safety legislation and standards and NFPA standards (e.g., NFPA 101, NFPA 130)
• Understanding of fire dynamics, heat transfer and smoke behavior principles in enclosed environments.
• Understanding of Active Fire Protection AFP (e.g. sprinkler systems, fire detection and alarm systems; mechanical smoke control systems etc.) and Passive Fire Protection (PFP) measures (e.g. structural fire resistance, fire compartmentation, fire doors etc.)
• Knowledge of fire modelling simulation (using zone models such as CFAST and CFD Computational Fluid Dynamics-based models such as SMARTFIRE)
|Skills|| Skills • A creative, practical mindset - a problem solver|
• Able to work with others in a team
• Able to represent the practice to external clients, technical peer groups
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Familiar with the use of Industry leading fire design software packages, analytical and visualisation techniques and BIM
• Familiar with the integration of sustainable development aspirations within the Fire Safety discipline.