Senior / Principal Ecologist
About Pell Frischmann:
Pell Frischmann is an international multi-disciplinary consulting engineering company with over 90 years of experience in the built environment. We are a unique business whose purpose is to generate sustainable funds to deal with the environmental and social commitments resulting from the closing of Germany’s hard-coal mining industry; so our work directly contributes to environmental protection and preservation for the future.
Our expertise and capabilities cover: Aviation, Buildings, Civil Structures, Highways & Transportation, Land Development, Rail, and Water & Wastewater.
“Excellence Through Innovation” permeates our company culture. We believe that quality engineering goes beyond simply achieving codified compliance, and we passionately pursue solutions that deliver better results for end-users via unconventional methods.
Main Purpose of the Job
Pell Frischmann is seeking to appoint a Principal/Senior Ecologist with experience in project management and survey coordination to join their Environment team. The role would ideally be based out of our Luton office, but we are also keen to hear from candidates for our Birmingham office. The project is centered around Aylesbury and as such candidates should be prepared to work and travel in and around this area. The ideal candidate will have experience leading and working on a wide range of projects, and in particular a background in large scale infrastructure projects.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the coordination of advanced bat surveys including (but not limited to) trapping and radio tracking, emergence surveys, static sound analysis and thermal imaging. You will be tasked with the coordination of survey data, analysis and reporting which will feed into the updated monitoring strategy for the Natural England bat licence.
This role would involve some fieldwork but would primarily be office and coordination based. Opportunities to join and lead on surveys will be available but not the main focus of the role.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be responsible for a range of tasks incorporating the following elements:
- Ecological coordination and surveys, in particular bat monitoring surveys as mentioned above;
- Compilation of Risk Assessments and Ecological Method Statements for specific tasks;
- Providing on-site guidance to contractors and assisting in the preparation and delivery of toolbox talks;
- Working in conjunction with project stakeholders to achieve project aims whilst encouraging a high level of environmental protection;
- Monitoring survey activities and liaising with contractors and project team to ensure compliance with approved method statements and licence conditions;
- Liaison with clients, regulators and statutory consultees such as Natural England to resolve or mitigate any issues;
- Report writing and oral communication, with an excellent ability to convey ecological / environmental requirements to contractor teams.