Senior Ecologist – Manchester, Birmingham or Wakefield
About Pell Frischmann:
Pell Frischmann is an international multi-disciplinary consultancy with over 90 years of experience in the built environment. We are a unique business whose purpose is to generate sustainable funds to deal with the environmental and social commitments resulting from the closing of Germany’s hard-coal mining industry; so our work directly contributes to environmental protection and preservation for the future.
Our expertise and capabilities cover: Aviation, Buildings, Civil Structures, Highways & Transportation, Land Development, Rail, and Water & Environment.
“Excellence Through Innovation” permeates our company culture. We believe that quality engineering goes beyond simply achieving codified compliance, and we passionately pursue solutions that deliver better results for end-users and the environment.
Main Purpose of the Job
As a result of our growing workload, we are looking for a Senior Ecologist based out of our Manchester, Birmingham or Wakefield offices to oversee and aid project delivery for a range of internal and external clients. Projects range from flood alleviation schemes, road and rail schemes to residential and mixed-use developments. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team currently based across four offices in Birmingham, London, Luton and Exeter.
Duties will include general ecological consultancy activities on a variety of projects throughout the UK, with a focus on raising awareness of the ecology services we can offer to in-house projects and external clients in the north-west and into Wales. Once you are in post, we would look at expanding the team in your office around you. Whilst we all enjoy hybrid-working and are based throughout England, we maintain weekly contact and have regular update and support meetings such that we really do all consider ourselves part of the one overall team.
The right candidate would be an excellent communicator with sound ecological knowledge of legislation, planning and survey design and mitigation, with a solid background in ecological consultancy and the ability to forge positive professional relationships with ecologists and non-ecologists alike. Whilst some working away from home may be required, we are very much advocates of work-life balance and looking after our employee welfare. We therefore closely manage our out of hours surveys with a TOIL system in place to ensure any additional accrued time can be taken back.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
As a result of a collaborative and engaging environment you will be responsible for a range of tasks incorporating the following elements, with a goal of progressing your career with us and enabling you to excel within a diverse environment:
- Leading the technical elements of a project as required whilst ensuring high levels of safety, quality and environmental responsibility
- Be responsible for the technical quality of your own and the team’s survey, analysis and reporting in accordance with good practice guidance, ecological legislation and the Pell Frischmann internal quality systems
- Forge positive and professional relationships with in-house staff and external clients
- Project Management as required with good commercial awareness and financial control, ensuring deliverables meet the client’s needs and are provided cost effectively and to an exemplary standard
- Working in conjunction with project stakeholders including clients, and statutory consultees to achieve project aims whilst encouraging a high level of environmental protection
- Monitoring, planning and forecasting utilisation of the ecology team, including contributing to and preparing bids
- Line management and mentoring of individuals within the team
- Engage in business development, client and third-party liaison successfully leading to enhanced reputation, new and repeat work
- Advocating the team’s services internally to our framework managers and technical leads
- Assist with the promotion of the capabilities of the company to current and prospective clients.
Why Pell Frischmann?
Not only are we one of the UK’s leading engineering consultancies, we also understand a career isn’t just a job. We are part of the Disability confident scheme and ensure we are able to provide equal opportunities for all. You will not be Pigeon-holed with us and you will have a bespoke career path to achieve development through Chartership and beyond!
If that and a competitive salary isn’t enough, we also offer other excellent benefits you can find on the link below!https://pellfrischmann.com/pell-frischmann-employee-benefits
|Qualification|| • Degree in Ecology, Environmental Management or a related discipline|
• Membership (or eligibility to join) of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM)
| • Membership (or eligibility to join) of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM) • A current CSCS card or equivalent.|
|Experience|| • Minimum of 6 years’ experience working in a UK consultancy for private and public-sector developers and operators, on a range of development / infrastructure projects.|
• Experience across a range of UK habitats and protected species
• Experience of working on and delivering ecological aspects of large-scale infrastructure projects
• Proven record of supporting clients, developing pragmatic and cost-effective mitigation, and supervising implementation on-site • Will hold (or have held) protected species survey and mitigation licences
• Line management experience
• Experience working on a range of engineering projects as the ecological lead
|Skills|| • Excellent knowledge of relevant UK wildlife legislation including conservation of protected species|
• Excellent knowledge of ecological survey methods and mitigation measures
• Highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong analytical, critical thinking and organisational skills
• A collaborative nature, demonstrating strong relationships with other teams within the business
• Be able to work well in a team and provide effective direction to all members of the team
• Excellent commercial understanding of environmental consultancy procurement
• Full UK driver’s licence and own transport.
| • Bat sound analysis |