Graduate Fire Engineer
About Pell Frischmann:
Pell Frischmann is an international multi-disciplinary consulting engineering company with over 90 years of experience in the built environment. We are a unique business whose purpose is to generate sustainable funds to deal with the environmental and social commitments resulting from the closing of Germany’s hard-coal mining industry; so our work directly contributes to environmental protection and preservation for the future.
Our expertise and capabilities cover: Aviation, Buildings, Highways & Transportation, Land Development, Rail, and Water & Wastewater.
“Excellence Through Innovation” permeates our company culture. We believe that quality engineering goes beyond simply achieving codified compliance, and we passionately pursue solutions that deliver better results for end-users via unconventional methods.
This is an exciting opportunity to aid development of our Fire Safety Engineering team within a fast-evolving business. The team has a long track record delivering exciting projects in both the buildings and infrastructure field including the renown Blavatnik School of Government at the University of Oxford to the remodeling of Blackfriars Station.
The successful candidate for the role will design sustainable fire safety solutions in line with the fire legislation and UK building regulations.
Our existing Fire Safety Engineering team is in our Bishop’s Stortford office and we are open to applicants in that area and also London.
Main Duties and Responsibilities;
- Designing fire solutions structurally;
- First class project delivery;
- Developing existing systems to aid fireproofing;
- Professional and Technical Support;
Day-to-Day tasks that you will be trained on:
- Development of Fire Safety Strategy (FSS) reports during design stages (RIBA 2-4) for building regs approval;
- Means of Escape analysis (including calculations of evacuation times based on RSET principles from PD 7974 part 6; escape routes and exits widths; assessment of travel distances; development and assessment of evacuation strategy plans);
- People Movement Modelling Analysis (PeMMA): evacuation and crowd simulations using computational models, such as EXODUS;
- Good knowledge on CAD (Computer Aided Design) packages for building up floor plans, sections, elevations of building designs;
- Assessment and understanding of the main British fire safety legislation and standards applied to buildings, such as Approved Document B (AD B), BS9999:2015, BS9991:2015; BS7974:2019;
- Assessment and understanding of the main British fire safety legislation and standards, such as the London Underground fire safety standards, the Network Rail standards, e.g., LUL – S1371, Railway Safety Principles and Guidance (RSPG);
- Risk Based Interpretation and Application of these fire safety documents as well as other Codes of Practice such as international documents such as NFPA standards (e.g., NFPA 101, NFPA 130);
- Third Party Review/Design Verification;
- Attendance of internal design team meetings;
- Attendance of external design team meetings with clients with initial supervision;
- Supporting on the development of Fire Risk Assessment reports for both, the building and rail sectors;
- Development of mark-ups for fire compartmentation, means of escape etc.
Why Pell Frischmann?
Not only are we one of the UK’s leading engineering consultancies, we also understand a career isn’t just a job. At Pell Frischmann you will not be pigeon-holed but encouraged to thrive and develop.
If that and a competitive salary isn’t enough, we also offer other excellent benefits, including:
- 25-Days Annual Leave and Buy, Sell & Carry-Over Policies.
- Life Assurance at 4x Base salary.
- Season Ticket Loans.
- Salary Sacrifice Benefits.
- Full Learning and Development programme
|Qualifications||Relevant Degree or comparative qualification||Associate member (or working towards it) of the IFE Institute of Fire Engineers|
|Experience||None required bar a relevant degree|
|Skills|| Confident in dealing with people|
Enthusiasm to progress and learn